Friday, October 2, 2009

How Do You Do That?

I have had many people ask how the stone cutting process works. On the 16th while I was working I took some pictures of the the basic steps in the process.


Step 1: Select your stones.



Step 2:
Decide where to cut and mark it.

Marking the Crazy Lace Agate

Marking the Crazy Lace Agate

Marking the Crazy Lace Agate

Marked Obsidian Mahogony

Marked Petrified Wood

Step 3: Use the small saw to make the rough cuts and remove the piece I want to work with from the slap of stone.


Here are a couple of the pieces I have rough cut.
The substance they are sitting in removes the oil left by the saw.

Step 4: I attach a dowel with wax to help hold stone in place.

The machine to grind and polish the stones.

Step 5: Grinding the edges off of the rough cut piece stone. This is a piece of the petrified wood.

Step 6: Polish the stone. This is a piece of Obsidian Mahogany.

Completed Stones
These are the stones I finished on 9-16-2009

No comments:

Post a Comment